Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Last Man

There is something about being the only person walking on the grass, across the common, every day at school, while others choose to walk on the pavement - on the disgusting, unnecessary and worthless pavement - that makes me feel like the Last Man, and that the rest of these fucking fools are industrial machines on their ways to get fitted with new bearings or whatever.

Yet here I sit with my laptop, handheld PDA, and mp3 player (no advertisement of brand names necessary). I've got my gear and I'd hate to part with it.

I've got tar on my feet... worms are crawling out of my skin.

I choose to feel the ground beneath my feet, to walk amongst the trees - not the tall buildings of this false academia, the so-called ivory towers - because with those strategically placed yet somehow still majestic trees I find camaraderie. With the majority of my classmates, I sometimes feel a sickening revulsion. I like them well enough, and converse and even sometimes spend time with them, but I can't help but hate them and all that they want. Because they're just like me. Fucking just like me.

4 comments:

  1. Yo, I think you need to take a break from society, go camping or something...road trip to Kansas...there aint shit at my corner of the world....There isnt anything readily available except for the bare minimum, i.e. Food, water.... Unless you are a cow, then we can hook you up with some hay to chow on. Fuck the burbs man, I live in the middle of NOWHERE...Sounds like a perfect escape from what you are dealing with..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dude - that cow comment cracked me up. I could stand to be in the middle of nowhere for a while. Unfortunately, I can't even manage to escape to the city for a show. Supposed to be seeing Om tonight and it ain't happening. Two shows in two weeks that I've had to miss.

    Luckily, the next show I'm seeing is here in town, and there is no foreseeable reason that I'd have to miss that one. Then, at the end of November, I'm making the trek to Buffalo to see either Pelican or Russian Circles - maybe both, depending on how school looks at the time.

    I'd love to get to Kansas to hang out, but that requires plane tickets, and those are not in the cards right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea I hear ya, money sucks...I hate it..And I definatly fell where you are coming from with this post...Somedays I just want to throw some food & water in my truck and just drive to some remote place just to get away from all the horse shit...I know there is not as much here as there is in other places...But I'd like to leave the cell phone, leave everything, and just chill out for a while...but alas...there is work...which I am also thankful for after being unemployed so long...In retrospect, I wish I would have done just that, WHILE I was unemployed..just to clear my head, and to clease myself of society for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just thought I'd say..I also walk on the grass. Even when I'm walking along on the footpath, without realising it I'll end up slowly merging onto the grass.

    ReplyDelete