Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Road




I finally got to see "The Road." As expected, it was an awe-inspiring piece of cinematic brilliance. I knew that it was not a happy go lucky comedy, but it was quite possibly the saddest, bleakest movie I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few. The colors that dominate the film are grey and black; the sun is gone for all intents and purposes - this is not surprising for a post-apocalyptic tale of survival, but in my opinion, there is no way to prepare yourself for the sympathy and sadness this can produce if all else is done well. And in this movie, everything is just about perfect.

Get off of your ass and go see this film while you still can; and yes, there is more than sadness to be witnessed here - the underlying theme is one of unconditional love, hope, and struggle in the face of literally insurmountable odds.

What I must now do is get to reading the book.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting , I'll watch it asap , tnx for your recommendation

    ReplyDelete
  2. was depressing for sure, but nothing wrong with that, still worth watching. sure there were moments of slipping glimpses of hope, but mostly grey desolate neverending lands. I found the 'book of eli' to be somewhat similar, post apocolyptic, but the sun is a burning terrorizing presence here. this movie was a bit more 'holywood' then the road though. Either way, I am starting to see an interesting trend with 'apocolyptic','dooms-day' and 'over-population' movies coming out from the holywood (surrogates, pandorum, 2012 (this one sucked), the road, book of eli, even Avatar (in some ways) etc.). Stalin once said 'let me control holywood and i will never need another weapond'. it is interesting indeed that this has been the topic of many recent major movies. I hope this theme keeps going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested in "The Book of Eli" but a friend said it was horrible and that I should waste my money on some other such nonsense.

    But yeah, I hope to see more of this type of theme as well. People have got to start thinking with their effing heads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good post. this movie was really great.

    -chad

    ReplyDelete
  5. the book is my favorite, i have yet to see to movie...but the book is probably better as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  6. check out the proposition movie from John Hillcoat, I'm sure you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete